Jaxsen "loves" German Ginger Cookies


Russ announced it's "Food Day" at the Wenatchee World. Every team was assigned to bring food from a different country while Managers have the option to choose between Germany and Spain. He thought I might like to whip something up from Germany because that's where much of my heritage is from. Instantly thoughts of potatoes and sauerkraut came to mind, but then these little babies surfaced and I couldn't resist. Plain or iced they're delicious.

3/4 Cup Crisco
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Molasses unsulphured
2 Cups Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Cloves
1 Teaspoon Ginger


Cream shortening and sugar; add egg and molasses; beat until fluffy. Sift all dry ingredients and add to mixture.

Chill dough. I'm impatient so I tossed the cookie dough in the freezer for 15 minutes and then filled my cookie trays. I let each tray wait in the freezer while I cooked a batch and continued rotating them until the last tray went into the oven. Shape dough into marble size balls and roll each in sugar, or leave plain and ice later.

Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool before removing from pan.


Pretty them up by drizzling with Powdered Sugar Glaze.

Comments